On January 25, hundreds of Oregonians will meet on the steps of the State Capitol for the Oregon March for Life. The event will begin at 2:15, with the March immediately following the speakers.
Dr. Karen Gaffney of Portland is our featured speaker. She is an accomplished human rights advocate, achieving an honorary doctorate. Dr. Gaffney is also a renowned long-distance swimmer, conquering the English Channel and Lake Tahoe, among other large bodies of water.
She is the president of the Karen Gaffney Foundation, which is “dedicated to championing the journey to full inclusion for people with Down syndrome and other disabilities.”
In an interview with Live Action, Dr. Gaffney spoke about life with Down syndrome:
“It’s okay – I know I’m different than you. I look differently, I talk differently, I walk differently . . . sometimes it takes me longer to learn things. Now, another thing that is different about me is that I can probably swim much longer and much farther than many of you. . . I have a regular high school diploma, a two-year college degree, an honorary doctorate degree, and a good paying job. In short, my life is amazing!”
Senator Denyc Boles and Marion County Commissioner Colm Willis will also be speaking, with Representative Bill Post emceeing. We will be providing signs that say, “Humans begin in the womb. So do their rights.” If you would like to bring a sign from home, please be aware that this is a peaceful, compassionate event. Signs featuring words like “kill” and “murder” are not welcome.
If you can’t join us for the Oregon March for Life, please check the list below for an event happening in or nearby your community:
- Clark County: Friday, January 24. Meet from 1 to 2 pm on front steps of Clark County Courthouse, 1200 Franklin St., Vancouver, WA. 360-831-7542
- Curry County: Sunday, January 19. Meet at noon for a gathering at Lighthouse Assembly of God in Harbor, 15803 Hwy 101 S. Contact: 541-469-3548.
- Deschutes County: Saturday, January 18. 9:30 am pro-life rosary and 10 am pro-life mass at St. Francis of Assisi in Bend. 541-639-8235.
- Douglas County: Sunday, January 26. Meet at 2 pm at Mercy Medical Center statue in Roseburg. Baby shower follows at Seventh Day Adventist Church. 541-673-4566.
- Eugene: Saturday, January 18. Meet at 9am at the Grace Lutheran Church for a screening of Gosnell and Unplanned followed by refreshments and resources. 710 E 17th Ave. 541-747-1079
- Florence: Crosses of life at local churches during Sanctity of Life month.
- Jackson County: Sunday, January 26. Meet 6 pm in the sanctuary of First Baptist Church for movie “Unplanned,” 649 Crater Lake Ave, Medford.
- Josephine County: Sunday, January 26. Josephine County Courthouse on B St. in Grants Pass. Meet at 1pm. March to Riverside Park Pavilion for rally.
- Klamath County: Wednesday, January 22. Meet at noon at Klamath County Government Center, 305 Main St., Klamath Falls.
- Marion County: Tuesday, January 21, Cultura Vitae Lecture at 7:00 pm at the Father Bernard Youth Center on 980 Main St., Mt. Angel, hosted by Chesterton Academy of Willamette Valley.
- Pendleton County: Sunday, January 19. Numerous churches participating in Knights of Columbus pancake breakfast at St. Mary’s Catholic Church. 541-276-1540.
- Union County: Wednesday, January 22. Rally at 4-6pm. Max Square, corner of Adams and 4th Ave, La Grande.