Skip to content

ORTL President Fired from Day Job Over Pro-Life Beliefs

Last week, the new president of the Oregon Right to Life board of directors, Harmony Daws, was fired from her position as operations manager of a thriving Portland-area cleaning business. Two weeks prior, she had told her left-leaning boss that she had accepted the position as president. Ostensibly, she was fired for pro-life beliefs, as well as other political beliefs.

Harmony Daws

President Harmony Daws

After that conversation, her boss came to her again and told her to never mention her pro-life work. Harmony agreed, mentioning that it had only come up in their conversation as friends, having worked together for four years. Her employer was cold and distant for the following week and a half. Then last Friday, she fired Harmony for “discrimination” and for Harmony’s beliefs that she saw online, apparently including her blog and the ORTL website.

Employees who worked under Harmony varied in beliefs and lifestyles, including a Satanist, a Wiccan, a lesbian, and atheists too. Upon hearing of her firing, several of them told her they had never felt discriminated against in any way. They said she “loved everyone.” It was because of Harmony’s work running the daily operations of the company that her boss went from struggling to make payroll for three employees to a team of 14 employees with projected 2016 sales of over $500,000.

It is clear that Harmony was the one discriminated against, not the discriminator. Harmony said, “What my employer did was illegal. Firing someone based on their religious or political beliefs is a civil rights violation. I’m a libertarian and I support my former employer’s right to hire and fire as she chooses. However, she could have asked for a resignation over our difference of beliefs. To have been mistreated as I was by being fired, after my exemplary record as an employee, was unconscionable. Regardless, had I known then what the price to accept the presidency would be, I would still have accepted the position. Fifty-eight million children have lost their lives since 1973. Losing a job in my stand for their right to life was a small price to pay.”

Editor’s Note: Harmony’s story was written about on The Blaze. Read it here.

Read Harmony’s bio here.

23 Comments

1. Allen Vandecoevering on January 27, 2016 at 4:06 am

Dear Harmony,
    God will bless you for your commitment to the truth. I can’t imagine the pain this must bring you, but I am confident that God will open other doors to use the gifts you have and even greater ways to spread the truth about God’s Law. We are surrounded by Evil and you have given many people hope and encouragement to be among God’s Chosen Ones to stand up for the unborn and to face persecution for the sake of God’s Kingdom. Folowing your example, we must all take the high road, pray for our enemies and do good to those who persecute us. Jesus told us, “Do NOT be afraid!” He is with us and he will win the Victory if we remain faithful. Thank you for being his faithful servant. God bless you.
    Deacon Allen Vandecoevering

• ortl on January 27, 2016 at 5:59 pm

She said thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers, Deacon Allen!

2. Jeff Keller on January 27, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I certainly hope that a lawsuit about this is already in the works. If the roles were reversed the ACLU would be right on it.

• ortl on January 27, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Jeff. Harmony isn’t planning any lawsuit because she supports the right to hire and fire as employers choose. She says she wants more rights for small business not bigger government oversight. But you’re right: the other side would make a huge deal over it.

• Lee Kim on January 27, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Businesses should be able to fire as they choose, but does that include illegal or immoral firings? What if a majority of businesses want no Catholics, for instance, and fired anyone that they found out were Catholics. Shouldn’t people stand up for the 1st Amendment? If there’s no opposition, silence becomes acceptance. Was Harmony’s pro-life views disrupting the business? If not, why is it ok to fire someone if they are pro-life? If she doesn’t see why it might be prudent to make a stand that people shouldn’t fear for their jobs just because they are pro-life, why should anyone else?

• ORTL on January 28, 2016 at 4:27 am

She sees it more as Christians should be free to hire and fire as they choose and so should non-Christians. Bakers should be free to not bake cakes. Etc.

• John on January 29, 2016 at 2:21 am

So, to be clear, businesses should be free to hire/fire whomever they choose, except in cases where doing so would violate your morality. Should they email you first or text or what?

3. Dick Fleming on January 27, 2016 at 7:47 pm

It would seem like starting a cleaning business would be in order. She apparently has the skills to do so, and some good publicity right now.

4. annie streckfuss on January 28, 2016 at 3:37 am

This is very unfortunate, but when we belong to Christ, He makes no mistake! He has a plan for Harmony!

5. Kory on January 28, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Harmony,

I’m sorry for this injustice against you. But please let us know when you’ve got your own cleaning business going. We’ve got six little blessings (four of them 6 and under) that enjoy making messes and we’re looking for new service.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” Mt 5:10

• ORTL on January 29, 2016 at 1:01 am

We’ve passed your email on to her, Kory, so she can let you know about her new business! Thanks!

6. Keith on January 29, 2016 at 12:55 am

Harmony,

I was too let go from a company last July. The company that I worked for was a computer tech company who was attempting to do business (I.T. Business) with Planned Parenthood. I mentioned I was uncomfortable working on any file that had to do with PP. and was fired 2 weeks later for “budget layoffs.” God Bless.

7. Bill Deese on January 29, 2016 at 4:42 am

Wow, Harmony, picked off by the PC police! As a survivor and thriver of 35 years of public teaching, likely even more PC than your former job environment, there were certain areas I had to keep a low profile. Becoming ORTL president made you a big target, kind of like Joseph wearing his special coat to visit his brothers. Worked out well for Joseph and his brothers in the end and I trust it will for you as well. God doesn’t promise He’ll keep us from falling into pits but He’s very reliable at pulling us out of them. If you’re going into a pit, and we all do, I can’t think of a better reason than trying to save babies from the destroyer. Blessings and prayers for you, Harmony!

8. Mark on January 29, 2016 at 6:05 am

I am grateful for Harmony’s principled restraint, to seek peace and fair treatment by reason and integrity, rather than by turning to the bullying powers of the state. It shows a depth of wisdom that will serve all of us well in Oregon, and especially the pro life cause. May God continue bless her this way,and all of us through her.

9. C on January 29, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Please note the typo in the number “fifty-eight.” Hope this is helpful.

• ORTL on January 29, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Thanks! We noticed it and forgot so thanks for reminding us!

10. Pete Parks on January 30, 2016 at 4:31 pm

God tends the sparrow. Bless her and her commitment to the truth.

11. Mary on January 30, 2016 at 5:06 pm

God bless you! I pray that I would be that brave and have that much faith.

12. Paul on January 30, 2016 at 6:42 pm

I taught at MHCC when in Portland Oregon. For the first 6 months, I constantly received praise from my superiors, from those who took my classes and had advanced students ask if they could sit in on my classes because the previous instructor didn’t teach fundamentals essential to the major. When my boss found out I was a practicing Catholic, I received a 10 minute tirade on the “evils” of the Catholic church, behind closed doors, from a superior, at a state sponsored school. From that point forward, I was not informed of meetings and was kept out of the loop. It became the most hostile work environment I’d encountered in 40 plus years. I was passed over in order to accommodate a significantly less qualified instructor and was not provided an opportunity to return. The dean of the college was quite stunned by that decision as was the hiring committee
    This is the world in which we now live. Religious bigotry is fully entrenched. I hope you have the peace in your heart that I eventually received. God will lead you to where you’re most needed.

13. Jeff Yano on February 4, 2016 at 2:26 am

I am happy to hear that there are many other NON LIBERAL conservative Christians living in Portland who are not afraid to stand for the truth and help to defend the unborn. I was contemplating on moving out of State due to such LIBERAL bias here. Keep fighting the good fight….

• ORTL on February 8, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Thank you, Jeff! Don’t go anywhere! We need you!

14. Cheryl Schwartz on February 8, 2016 at 5:28 pm

We are proud to be associated with an organization whose president would accept this degree of persecution in the name of all that is good and true and beautiful; that is, the human person, made in God’s image.
    Will your new cleaning business serve any areas outside of the cities of Portland or Salem? Our little school (Holy Family Academy, outside of Salem near Mt Angel) is cleaned by parents each weekend, and some of them have asked if they could pay someone to do this chore for them…will you please ask Harmony to email me when the cleaning business is ready to begin? I would be happy to post a link on my Facebook wall too, to let others know about your new business.
    God will bless your sacrifice!

• ORTL on February 8, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Thank you for your kind words! We’ll send your comment to Harmony!